Published by Bookfish Books on March 29, 2016
Series: Bourbon #1
Genres: New Adult, Romance, Suspense/Thriller
Source: eARC from Publisher
In the little highway town of Bourbon, Missouri, deadly secrets lurk behind southern charm.
Seventeen year old Charli Valentine didn’t expect to spend the last few weeks of summer break nursing a broken heart, icing a black eye, and watching her ex kiss another girl. Since being a good girl has gotten her nothing but heartache, Charli decides to give rebellion a try. She pigs out, drinks, and hangs with Luke Parker, the son of the infamous Bourbon Butcher.
But there’s more to Luke than meets the eye. His tough exterior and terrible dialect hide a good person despite his bad boy reputation. No matter how hard he tries to fight it, Luke is drawn to Charli’s innocence and finds her clumsiness too charming to resist. Though they’re from opposite sides of the tracks, neither can resist the pull drawing them together.
When Charli discovers a box in her mother’s closet, she pieces together the truth about Bourbon’s past and uncovers a deadly secret about her family. And once Luke learns of it, he vows to protect Charli no matter the cost.
Today I have the author of A Shot of Bourbon, AC LAND here to tell us some things we didn’t know about her. Thank you so much for being here today 🙂
Top 10 things you didn’t know about ME! (A.C. Land)
- My senior prophecy predicted I’d ride into my ten-year reunion on the back of a mountain lion.
- I have four months to procure, train, and learn how to ride a mountain lion…
- I’m a HUGE Star Wars nerd. (There’s a vinyl Darth sticker on my computer and I may or may not be wearing a Boba t-shirt right now).
- The way to my heart is humor and book puns. I.e.-if you were a book, you’d be fine print.
- There really is a Bourbon, Missouri. The locals think the water tower by the highway is filled with Bourbon. A ladder, wire cutters, face paint, and give-em-hell attitude needed to determine if this is, in fact, true.
- A Shot of Bourbon is set geographically in Bourbon, but the book is very much fiction—about a bank robbery that never actually happened. I made that up in my very twisted little brain.
- I’m one of those weirdos who’s actually really close to my family—my three nephews and mom.
- I wrote all of the books in the Bourbon Series before seeking out a publisher (http://www.bookfishbooks.com)
- I’m a dog person. Cats freak me out.
1. I’ve been best friends with my best friends for as long as I can remember. They’re some of the most supportive people in my life. 2005, 2006, 2010, 2012…AND STILL GOING STRONG.
A Shot of Bourbon is the first book in the Bourbon series by A.C. Land. It is an upper young adult (really, could be new adult based on the subject matter.) suspense/mystery/romance/dark book. It had a gritty and edgy vibe that I was digging a lot. This is the kind of book that I have to be in the mood to read, and I was in just that kind of mood. It struck me at just the right time. I didn’t love the main character Charli, but she grew on me enough as the book went on.
At first, Charli rubbed me the wrong way. I found her to be too whiny, but as you fall into the swing of the mystery and the pace of the book picks up considerably, she didn’t bother me nearly as much. Probably because there were enough other things going on to shift my focus away from her. A Shot of Bourbon is a book that builds. It started out as just a decent read, but in the second half I ended up liking the story. I was intrigued enough to want to continue it. The mystery of who Charli’s father is and just what the connection to the Bourbon Butcher was enough to hold my interest.
Bottom line: If you are really into gritty mysteries, that have a darker edge to them, and you can look past a slightly immature character, A Shot of Bourbon is a very well done plot driven novel.
To enter, fill out the rafflecopter below to win an ipad mini (US Only)!
Note: Book Briefs Contest Policy applies. All of the prizes, terms and conditions of the giveaway should be contained in the rafflecopter below. No Purchase necessary to enter. Void where prohibited by law.