Published by Gallant Press on February 5, 2018
Genres: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Action & Adventure
Battling alien warriors, man-eating monsters, gnome assassins
and agents of the Shadow Lord while searching for a
missing planetary expedition….
….school field trips shouldn't be this dangerous…
TerraGen Universal is the world leader in pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, with patents valued in the billions of U.S. dollars—technology patents that corporate sharks and government agents would kill for.
A DOOMED EXPEDITION
TerraGen discovered the existence of a wormhole and seized the opportunity to set up a remote laboratory 2.4 million light years across the universe, on a planet code-named ‘Genesis’.
But now that expedition has gone missing…
A DARING RESCUE
Six teenagers, each the scions of world-renowned scientists lost on the expedition, are swept up by an army of mercenaries in a rescue mission to find their parents.
Meanwhile on Genesis, a race of aliens awaits a mighty warrior who will save them from the power of the Shadow Lord. Who will step up and answer their call?
Jeremy Austin never asked to save a planet— it's hard enough just being a "B" average student as the son of a world-famous geneticist. He also didn't ask to be attacked by gnome assassins, didn't choose to become food for a prehistoric monster, would never have thought consorting with wizards a wise concept, and he definitely would never, ever sign up to do sword combat against the bloodthirsty Gnome King.
As Jeremy and his five high school friends embark on their rescue mission on a nightmare planet, their search becomes lost in a struggle for survival….
War World is Jurassic Park meets Lord of the Rings, and the first exciting book in a new trilogy. Rod C. Spence blends suspense and futuristic science in this fantasy techno-thriller, featuring a cast of diverse, YA characters. Published by Gallant Press.
Today I am really excited to have Rod C. Spence, the author of War World (which comes out on Feb 5th) He is here to share 10 things we didn’t know about him, and he has an awesome giveaway down below so be sure to enter that!
10 things you didn’t know about author Rod C. Spence
- I had four wisdom teeth removed when I was high school junior and I looked like a green chipmunk with lockjaw. I spent two weeks recovering and it was during this period I read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings – what I else was I going to do? It gave me a love for fantasy.
- I just recently devoured Ready Player One for the second time on audiobook. Most of the plotting of the novel was like a journey down memory lane for me! Zork, Planetfall and other text-based games were all we had back in the 80’s and players like me dreamed of the future and the lifelike games that kids enjoy today.
- My favorite videogame of the 1980’s: Dragon’s Lair. It was one of the few arcade games I finished to the end.
- The original Westworld movie had an impact on me as a kid. The Gunslinger was a scary dude. The idea of a relentless killer stayed with me. Later, I would develop a love for Michael Crichton’s other novels and movies: Jurassic Park, Sphere, Prey – the idea of technology running amok. I tried to emulate Crichton’s writing style because, like me, he was also a screenwriter and wrote in a very dialogue heavy, active style. I wanted War World to move swiftly for the reader.
- I am more of a cat lover than a dog lover. Cats are elusive and generally don’t like to reveal the fact that they hunger for affection… but cats will then reward your attentions with a steady purr of their engine. And they’re a little psycho, which keeps things interesting.
- In my youth I was a springboard diver and competed nationally. I had really great abs but the whole pointing the toes thing was a real struggle.
- During my high school years and in partnership with a friend, we created and published a short run, science fiction comic strip called Return to Zaylon.
- I did a cross country drive by car years ago and started listening to the first Wheel of Time novel by Robert Jordan. I literally was listening to the final chapter as I drove back into Los Angeles some 3200 miles later.
- I’m a big time travel fan. The very first time travel novel that I will still reread to this day is Time and Again by Jack Finney. Somewhere In Time is one of my favorite films and the soundtrack is da shiznit.
- The first creative piece I ever wrote was a short, teleplay called The Wizard of Odd – a parody of, well… ain’t it obvious? It did get a few laughs when performed for my eighth grade English class.
Thank you so much for being here today Rod! I really enjoyed learning more about you. And check out his Bio everyone! Rod has worked on some of my favorite tv shows!
War World by Rod C. Spence is out on 5th February and available from Amazon
Want to win a signed copy of War World by @RodcSpence @GallantPress & star wars prize pack? Enter at @BookBriefs Click To Tweet
To enter, fill out the rafflecopter below to win a signed copy of War World and a Star Wars conceptual art book from the author’s personal collection!! (US only)
Note: Book Briefs Contest Policy applies. All of the prizes, terms and conditions of the giveaway should be contained in the rafflecopter below. No Purchase necessary to enter. Void where prohibited by law.