Today I have the author Fallenwood, Leslie Soule here with me to answer some fun questions.
1. describe Fallenwood in twitter detail (140 characters or less):
Ash runs away, finds a new world, meets a sorcerer, jester, cat, prince, wolf king, mean queen and black unicorn. Then she destroys a crystal and saves the world. YAY!
2. What was your favorite character to write about and why?
I loved writing about my talking cat character, Greymalkin. He’s kind of the comic relief character, so he’s fun to write.
3. Yea, I really enjoyed him. One of my favorite things about fantasy books, is the rich world created. What are the easiest and hardest things about creating the world in Fallenwood?
The hardest thing is coming up with place names. I usually look at other maps or try and jumble words together and see what I come up with, but it seems to take a long time sometimes.
4. I love being able to get an idea of what a map of the land/world looks like in my head when I am reading a book! What do you do when you have writer’s block?
When I have writer’s block, I like to use the Writer’s Tool Box, which is this box full of writing games that gets your mind out of a block. It works great!
5. Do you watch much TV? (I do, and this season I am loving the new ABC show Once Upon a Time) What is your favorite new show on tv?
I don’t watch much TV at all, so I’m really not up on the current shows or anything. Although, I have managed to catch a couple episodes of The Big Bang Theory when I’ve been at a friend’s house and I think it’s hilarious and awesome.
6. I love Big Bang Theory!! If we had an author talent show, what would you do?
I would break a board with a low spin kick! I love martial arts. 🙂
7. That sounds awesome! What book would you love Fallenwood compared to? (for example, fans of book “X” will love Fallenwood)
I love that a reviewer compared Fallenwood to Alice in Wonderland. What a huge compliment!
Thank you! Is there anything else you would like to add?
Yes! I love to hear from readers, so if you have feedback, good or bad, please send it my way. Also, to the aspiring writers out there, don’t give up! Getting published is difficult, but keep at it and you’ll get there.
Leslie Soule lives in Sacramento, California. Fallenwood is her first fantasy novel. She has received her B.A. in English from Sacramento State University and is currently working on her Master’s degree in English at National University.
Fallenwood—a land where magic is the life force, dragons are sages, and wizards good and evil battle for supremacy. When 23-year-old Ash is thrust into the middle of Fallenwood’s power struggles, she is also forced to face her own inner battles. Life on Earth was hard enough on Ash, who is locked in grief for her stepfather. Now, the fate of Fallenwood rests on her shoulders. She must destroy the Great Crystal—the catalyst for all the land’s magic. As the kingdoms prepare for war, Ash must look inside to find the power to save the world, and herself.
Leslie will be giving away a $25 Barnes and Noble GC to one randomly drawn commenter during the tour. So comment on as many stops as you can- that will give you more entries. Here is the link to the rest of the stops on the tour.
If you enjoyed this post, please Subscribe to Book Briefs in a reader