Summary from Goodreads:
No one ever accused Penelope Jackson of being normal, nor did they suspect the dark secret she kept. A dangerous web of deceit and secrecy unravels when news of a stranger’s death puts Penn on a collision course with the very person she’s been hiding from her whole life. Her fragile world is shaken to its core with the sudden arrival of Vacavious and she soon discovers the bizarre and magical world surrounding her seemingly ordinary life.No one is who they claim to be, including those closest to Penn. A mysterious security detail emerges from the shadows scrambling to protect her as powerful forces await the fall of her protective veil on her eighteenth birthday.
Penn prepares to fight against unseen evils before it’s too late. The world of Nighmerianotte and its population depends on her survival, for she is the Sanguine, the Black Five.
- Mason is a small town located just a one hundred miles south of the Oregon border. It’s nestled among the redwood trees, on California’s North Coast. The map, in the front of Black Five, is Mason, California. But what some people don’t know is that Mason is actually the town of Ferndale.
- I grew up in Fortuna, California (Lake Providence, in the book) right across the river from Ferndale.
- The Milk Can game is an actual tradition started in 1945. It takes place every September between our two towns. Many of the shenanigans mentioned in the book actually took place. And really, between Ferndale and Fortuna—we’re all really good friends. But come Milk Can time—it’s an all out war! Not really, but kinda. ( ;
- For a brief moment, my mother and I lived on Bunny Street in Santa Maria, CA. And maggots actually came out of our carpet! It was at that point my mother said, “We’re out of here!”
- I was raised by a single mother, a Marine. She’s tiny but she is mighty! I used the relationship with my mother and I to write the relationship between Penn and Jo. And that was easy to write because their love (our love) is so natural. When I wrote the letter from Penelope’s father, I wasn’t sure how to write that part because I wasn’t raised with a father. I used the love between my husband and my daughter (and the feelings as parent myself) to create that picture. Some parts were pretty tough to write—and hard to see the computer screen because of the snot that was slung!
- When I first wrote Black Five, Amy wasn’t included. I have a dear friend whose son was diagnosed with cancer at four years old. Five years later, a local girl was diagnosed with cancer at just three years old. That really affected me. I wanted to demonstrate how precious life is, while raising awareness about childhood cancer. I wanted to show the sadness, the heartbreak because this awful disease is taking our children far to young.
I am a HUGE supporter of St. Jude’s, St. Baldrick’s and Cookies for Kids Cancer and that is where my support and donations go, solely. I am happy to report that the young boy, now 11, is in remission and the little girl is cancer free.
Creatures you shouldn’t mess with in Nighmerianotte:Selacs- A rat-like rodent, slightly larger than a house cat, fester in the shadows of Nighmerianotte. If not careful, the tail, with its mouth and fangs, can devour its own body entirely. They’re scavengers, preying on anything that they can constrict, kill, and eat.
If a cat, a rat, and a snake were to breed—you’d get a Selac.
I’d try to insert a Pinterest board too, but I don’t think a picture would do it justice.
Morterros- Translucent skin protects their bones, their rotting flesh. They smell like death and the prey on fear. While they have impeccable smell, their sight is awful. And although they’ve been portrayed as mindless, over time Vacavious’s has created a hybrid morterro. One that can talk and think for itself. And they work for Vacavious.
Fairies- Although most of the fairies have been captured in a jar and used to illuminate Nighmerianotte (since Vacavious’s takeover), they’re the only ones who can cross over into the mortal world using the portals, taking Nighmerians with them. And they’re the only ones who can do so. One never wants to cross a fairy.
Sluggles- Comparable to the mortal world’s slug, these creatures, though, can get up to four feet long. Their upper epidermis blends to their surroundings so you can overlook them very easily. And watch out, if you get too close, they will use the only tool they have to defend themselves and that is they expel salt water from their pores and salt water is the achilles heel to Nighmerians. Sluggles hide in the underbelly of the forest only to be seen on rare occasions. But heard more often than not.
Grofs- Relative in size to the mortal frog, they are deep blue and have three legs instead of two. Their blood is used in many elixirs brewed by the 202’s, the witches. And, they live for centuries.
Meet Lucky KENDRA’S confidant. Below you will find original artwork drawn just for BLACK FIVE:
Here are some facts about BLACK FIVE:
PLAYLIST for BLACK FIVE:
I’m a mother of two beautiful children and a wife to an adorably supportive husband. Seriously, he’s adorable and tall. Really tall; he’s my high school sweetheart. I’m also a mother of two fur children who are extremely needy, Leo and Vinni.
I live with my family in a small town tucked away in the redwood forest located on California’s northern coast. I’m quite boring. But in case you’re wondering, you can see what my loves, my loathes and things you may not know about me by clicking the menu above.
To enter, fill out the rafflecopter below to win
Note: Book Briefs Contest Policy applies. All of the prizes, terms and conditions of the giveaway should be contained in the rafflecopter below. No Purchase necessary to enter. Void where prohibited by law.