Today I have the author of Hushed, Kelley York, joining us on Book Briefs! Thank you so much for being here with us today Kelley. I love getting to know authors so I really enjoy 10 things you didn’t know about posts. And this one is even cooler because Kelley split it. Half about her and half about her book Hushed!
Come back later this week for my review of Hushed!
I think 10 things people probably don’t know about me would bore some people, but I couldn’t think of 10 things no one knows about HUSHED… So I figured I’d do half and half!
5 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Me:
1. I used to sell my artwork at anime conventions with friends. I wasn’t amazing
, but I made some good extra cash doing it.
2. I lived in Indiana for three years and hated it. Then I moved back to California, where I grew up, and so much had changed that I don’t like it here anymore, either. I want to live in Oregon or Maine.
3. Thanks to my wife’s influence, I’m a huge Beatles fan. I’ve been reading any book I can get ahold of on them, and I listen to their music on repeat. Sometimes I get emotional with anything having to do with John Lennon’s death (including listening to Paul McCartney sing “Here Today”).
4. I can’t stand doors being unlocked. House doors, car doors. Everything should be locked all the time.
5. I absolutely love writing emotionally/psychologically damaged characters. That probably means there’s something wrong with me.
5 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About HUSHED:
1. Google Archer’s full name (Archer Pond) and see what you find. Just a fun little play on his name. 😉
2. In the original idea I had for HUSHED, Archer was supposed to die in the end.
3. I have this thing where I need an image of my head of every main character in my story, which means ‘casting’ them with an actor/actress/model/whatever. Something I can have an actual picture of. Archer was the first character I had a lot of trouble with, trying to put a face to his name. It drove me absolutely crazy. Only recently did I finally find the perfect actor for him.
4. Evan was originally meant to be straight, and Archer’s feelings for him were to be unrequited. Uh, we see how well that worked out.
5. I almost gave up on HUSHED. I got some really close calls with agents, but even the ones who loved it said it was too dark for publishers to be willing to take it. I was shown Entangled’s submission page by a good friend, and Wife persuaded me to give it a shot directly subbing to them.
I was literally sick to my stomach when Heather requested the full manuscript from my query because it was the last chance I was giving the book before trunking it.
And, well, happy ending. 😉
Thank you so much Kelley! I loved all the facts about Hushed, and I’m so glad you didn’t give up on it. 🙂 And I’m dying to know- who is the actor you had picked out for Archer??
‘Kelley York delivers in this impressive debut. I was at the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next! Bottom line, this was unputdownable!!!’ — YA Fantasy Guide —
Kelley was born and raised in central California, where she still resides with her lovely wife, daughter, and an abundance of pets. (Although she does fantasize about moving across the globe to Ireland.) She has a fascination with bells, adores all things furry – be them squeaky, barky or meow-y – is a lover of video games, manga and anime, and likes to pretend she’s a decent photographer. Her life goal is to find a real unicorn. Or maybe a mermaid. Within young adult, she enjoys writing and reading a variety of genres from contemporary with a unique twist, psychological thrillers, paranormal/urban fantasy and horror. She loves stories where character development takes center stage.
Hushed – Summary:
He’s saved her. He’s loved her. He’s killed for her.
Eighteen-year-old Archer couldn’t protect his best friend, Vivian, from what happened when they were kids, so he’s never stopped trying to protect her from everything else. It doesn’t matter that Vivian only uses him whenhopping from one toxic relationship to another – Archer is always there, waiting to be noticed. Then along comes Evan, the only person who’s ever cared about Archer without a single string attached. The harder he falls for Evan, the more Archer sees Vivian for the manipulative hot-mess she really is. But Viv has her hooks in deep, and when she finds out about the murders Archer’s committed and his relationship with Evan, she threatens to turn him in if she doesn’t get what she wants…And what she wants is Evan’s death, and for Archer to forfeit his last chance at redemption.